Monday, April 27, 2009

Freedom...Release



"Freedom" ~Run Kid Run

This is such an awesome and beautiful song. For the longest time, I wasn't able to hear what the song was saying, until I saw this video that actually had the lyrics xD... but yeahs, thank you Vivian for showing this song to us months ago during worship team orientations :]. As Christians, we know that ultimately our sins and shortcomings will be, in the end, compeletely and wholly stripped away. Sometimes though, it feels that though Christ has taken away all that keeps us from Him, we're the ones holding onto what keeps us from drawing closer and completely trusting Him. Why do we hold on to these things? Why can't we just let go? And why is it so hard? My spirit is willing but my body is weak...or is my spirit even willing? "Oh(All) my chains, I can't disengage...and I don't believe that I want to. One hand sings Your praise, the other brings me shame...I have selfishness to blame..."

For myself, sometimes I just feel so overcome with my own selfishness, yet I feel like somehow I am just holding onto it...it's not God's fault, it's my own. I know in my heart that what Christ did on the cross two-thousand years ago did it completely for me; I am to God His child, by His grace...and sometimes I forget that I, in actually since I've been a Christian, always have bEEN free. (Thank you Michelle for your old MTB post reminding me of this xD). But (why) do I hold on to my chains of putting my self before God? "I keep holding my chains, no longer bound but here I stay."

God reminds me...that in the end, there's only love. In Christ I have life, and what I need to do is let go, die, to my old self and grab hold of the new life He's set before me. I know I don't feel it in the actual moments of dispair...but I do know that when I get out, that line rings true: "Dispair has come so you can see...release...". God will see us through all our pains, I trust and believe; even the ones we put upon ourselves. His love has no bounds.

Done xD.

3 comments:

beafren said...

Very strange. I've been listening to the exact same song all morning.
Thanks for posting Tim =)

All my chains I can’t disengage
and I don’t believe that I want to
One hand sings your praise the other brings me shame I have selfishness to blame

Part of the reason why we're tied down
is because part of us doesn't completely
want to be free. So we're caught trying
to please God and then hold on to
the selfish sins.

And I’m singing for freedom
I know I’m not the only one
praying to the one
who can bring me this freedom
I’m ready for change
Take my hand in the end there’s only love
Father please I need rescuing
I need You and You alone

We know what we should do but we
don't follow through.
The spiritual battle is REAL.
Always remember the devil wants us
down.

Ready to break free?
The way out is to extend our hand
to God for his help.
--

michelle said...

xD......actually I don't recall writing such post, but if you said i did....i guess i did haha

Now that I think about it, I realize that I never gave this song much thought. Like I only looked at it through one point of view, which is us crying out to God and God rescuing us. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that there is a struggle because we are holding on, while He is pulling us out. I wasn't paying attention to the us holding on part. It is a a two-way situation. God is pulling us out of the quicksand, but we squirm making it harder to get out. We seem to can't stay still and let God save us. Probably it's the reasoning that humans are unable to have complete faith in anything (that is what i think). I believe that there is a bit of skepticism in all of us. We squirm thinking that it will produce an outcome, but yet unconsciously we know that we are only digging our own grave. Yeah....it is just like what you said, our selfishness is getting in the way. It requires not only God's efforts, but ours also. It is teamwork. He is answering our prayers, but it is only us that stands in the way. God is ready, are we?

Responding to Vivian's comment on the part where she says "...part of us doesn't completely want to be free." I think the reason is because with this freedom, we have a chance of failing or making the wrong choices. It is that uncertainty that can happen and in the end we have no one to blame, but ourselves that prevents us to moving forward. Therefore, at times, we just let things be as it is. We want freedom, but at the same time we don't. Well...that is what i think.....

thank you both =)

Neilson Chan said...

I really like this song. Thanks for sharing it, Tim.