Saturday, April 25, 2009

Time



"Time" - by Pink Floyd

You should check out the lyrics to this song--they're AMAZING! lyrics

I was reading my Bible this morning, and I was reminded of this song as I read the following verses from Ephesians 5:15-17: "Be very careful, then, how you live-- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

"I wish I had more time." Those are six words I find myself saying a lot nowadays. Time is very fragile; it comes and is gone in the very next instant. (It is also very confusing. There's a section in my physics book about the relativity of time...I don't understand it.) I have come to realize, though, that the problem isn't that I don't have enough time, but rather that I don't make the best use of my time. I am privileged to be given so many opportunities to do a plethora of things: everything from receiving a supreme education at one of the best public high schools, to participating in sports teams (softball and volleyball), to being involved in the high school fellowship leadership, to playing on the worship team, among other things. The thing is, however, that I can't do everything in the finite period of time allotted for these activities. Moreover, I'm having difficulty discerning whether or not everything I do is necessary--i.e. "understand[ing] what the Lord's will is."

Despite the multitude of opportunities before me, I can't help but feel like the time in my life is slipping by--that I am not using my time to its fullest potential. I am pleased to say that procrastination has become less of a problem for me (at least in terms of schoolwork), but I think my problem lies now in saturating my life with too many activities. I am so overwhelmed that I leave no time to listen to God's voice. It's funny, actually. Before, I also felt like I was letting my life slip by idly, so I took it upon myself to pick up all of these things that would supposedly "draw me to God" (i.e. all these church-related activities). But all it did was overwhelm me with stress, and actually distanced me from God's voice. It's like the third verse in the song: "so you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking..." Well, no, actually, the whole song kind of reflects the situation. I love this song.

Please pray for me.

Do you feel like your life is slipping by idly? Here's Ephesians 5:15-17 again:

"Be very careful, then, how you live-- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

2 comments:

Tim Young said...

nice man...i think this is going to be a great encouragement. i'm definitely one of those people who always finds themselves asking "why didn't i use the time God gave me?" or "i really wish i had the chance to do it over again". it's really hard for me sometimes, since sometimes i feel like i am just asleep while all these great blessings are going on. so, i'll pray for you, would you please pray for me, that i'd keep my eyes open to God's blessings TODAY, and just be thankful for everything He's doing and has already done. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Omgosh I thouht Tim posted this one because of the triangle and the spreading of the white light into the light spectrum.