Saturday, May 22, 2010

God of Wrath



"God of Wrath"
~David Crowder Band

I was having lunch with a friend recently, and talking about a recent Bible Study he attended, he said that what hit him the most was that nowadays, we're seriously missing the fact that God is not someone we can mess with. He said that we often times form God out of our own image, depicting Him in the manner that pleases us. He mentioned how God is a God of Justice, and also of Judgement as well.

My friend really made me think about how great God really is and how holy He is. This morning, I continued my devo-time in reading through Leviticus. By coincidence (...?), part of the chapter included a passage where a man was commanded to be stoned because he had "blasphemed the Name with a curse" (Lev 24:11). I thought about why the Lord commanded that the man to be stoned, and about the holiness of God. We toss around the idea of God so freely sometimes. The author here, on the other hand, couldn't even straight-up say His name; the author put it as "the Name", recognizing God's greatness and authority. God, in His holiness and everything He is, cannot be mocked..

Just last night, I read that one of my friends was having a really crummy day. In his anger, he cursed God, all his friends, and sarcastically thanked Jesus for his troubles. I didn't really know how to react. And after reading today's passage in Leviticus, a surge of concern for my friend hit me. Though I know that he is still loved by God and saved through Jesus, the situation really scared me, after just reading how serious God takes His Name and how people treat it. All of that made me realize how small we make God, and how much personal-belittling He must endure by us EVERY day. (I'm so sorry, God, on behalf of all of us..)

About this song by David Crowder, though I've seen its title before, I never bothered to look it up, though I really was curious. I believe that we both unconsciously AND consciously avoid the subject of God's sovereignty and wrath.. Needless to say, after all those exposures to the topic, I finally looked up the song. The lyrics really put into perspective the grandness of God. The God of everything! And our response to Him. "My love for You / My heart for You / My life for You / All I am for You!" I think this is a very accurate depiction of what God was really asking of the Israelite people in Leviticus, and what He seeks from us..

I honestly don't think I have a solid grasp of how holy, BIG, and grand God is, demanding my utmost love, respect, and devotion; much more than just my "friendship". But I think for sure, He's developing what it means to love Him, not just for what He did for me (which is reason enough to give my entire life for Him), but also simply for who He is.

~ tim

P.S. I totally recommend going through Leviticus, especially after understanding the context of how God commands His beloved people whom He saved from Egypt to be Holy as He is Holy. =]

3 comments:

michelle said...

hmm oh wow...that's an interesting thought. I am pretty sure I had this thought in the back of my mind at some point, but I guess I never really really thought about it. I am not proud of this, but I also take God for granted. I think the song, "what do I know of holy" by Addison Road, made me realize how I don't pay enough attention to God's power, holiness, awesomeness, mightiness, and etc. I make God too small. He may be loving and caring, but I also have to keep in mind that He's a force I should not mess with. I agree with you...God does endure a lot of our personal belittling. He shouldn't, and yet He does =/ I hope your friend will be alright. Thanks Tim for the song and your thoughts =]

Tim Young said...

hahas, maybe God's really trying to get my attention: last night at fellowship, one of the 2nd years spoke on the topic of "the fear of God." And I realized that this past week that, though I felt really enthralled in God's love, I had already forgotten the aspect of fearing God as well. At least I pray that I could remember that that I'm still a sinner in the midst of God's holiness, undeserving of His love. mmm.. I'm praying that my perspective of Him would continue to be made more and more clear, and I pray for you guys too for this =]].

michelle said...

amen =]