Saturday, July 23, 2011

Spirit vs the Kick Drum



"Spirit VS the Kick Drum" ~Derek Webb

I just think this song is really interesting. And I admit that it's a little weird. I'm still trying to understand some of the verses, but the basic gist of it I get, and I feel its worth sharing.

It challenges if we know what we want when we ask for the Spirit, the Son, and the Father. It's something I ask myself every now and then, especially as a worship leader. When I worship, am I really more moved by the music or am i moved by the Holy Spirit? Sometimes this question can be overly complicated, but it reminds me to be conscious to seek HIM out, and not just some fleeting emotions. It also makes me think about whether my perception of the Trinity is Biblically based. Do I live life seeking the approval of my peers (or coming out as 'better' than them) than i do the grace of Jesus? Do I expect Father to give me everything I want, or trust Him to give me everything I need?

I think this song it's a catchy and creative way to have us evaluate whether or not we really seek out God (all parts of Him; Father, Son, and Spirit), or if we seek a God that conforms to what we want. I pray that if I or any of us stray from a Biblical view of Jesus, the Father, or the Holy Spirit, that we would lovingly redirect me or them back to scripture. =].

1 comment:

michelle said...

haha this is a very interesting song :] i know what you mean. i ask myself the same question all the time. All this talk about the trinity is reminding me again about my forgetfulness towards the Holy Spirit =/ Everything I do is meaningless if I fail to notice the Holy Spirit in all of this. for ex,"like life without pain" It's incomplete. It's empty. I am only aware of 2/3 of what God truly is. haha random..."vending machine"...in some odd way it makes a lot of sense :P