Monday, August 1, 2011

Oh My Dear



"Oh My Dear" ~Tenth Avenue North

I listened to this song for the first time while I was in China with Aaron, and I listened to it several times again. It's really good =]. It's like a story, and I like that too. It's a song about meeting people where they're at, and being there for them. It's also a song about grace, and loving people unconditionally.

I think there are two pictures being painted in this song:
One is of Jesus, and how He went the farthest mile to meet us where we're at. And once we're able to tell Him our things we feel the most disgusted with, our ugliest parts, He doesn't turn away, but He listens to us and STILL loves us and takes us as we are. It's kinda like what we learned at Family Retreat, that God can make the distinction between the person and the disease of our sin. It's pretty awesome.

The other is of people loving and showing grace to other people. I think its important for us and myself to ask ourselves if we love like Christ would; are we willing to go that mile? One really cool thing about this song is that the speaker initiates the conversations with his/her friend, being the one to ask how they're doing and asking if they could talk for longer. The thing is, even when we say "yes, I will," its really hard to continue to encourage them.. but that's why we need to draw strength from the love that God shows us.

I myself haven't been as motivated as i used to to that extra mile and ask how people are doing.. to stop listening to myself and make the effort to tune into other people's channel and listen with God's love. Or, on the other hand, to let others hear my pain, and share with brothers or sisters about the things that shame me, knowing that Christ's blood washes over all of it. Yeah. I just really like this song. I'm not saying we need to share our problems with absolutely everyone (unless we feel convicted do so!), but I do hope that I and we can move towards transparency that is centered on Christ's work of love on the cross for us, so we can be God's arms for each other when we need it.

You slowly lifted your hands from your head
You said, "I just don't think you'll understand"
You'll never look at me that way again
If you knew what I did"

And so your tears fell and melted the snow
You told me secrets nobody had known
Oh, but I never loved you more
Even though I knew what you did

Until this guilt begins to crack,
And the weight falls from your back
Oh my dear, I'll keep you in my arms tonight.


=].

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mmm, I think the story behind this song is that the wife of the lead singer had a confession to make to her husband and he sang this song in response to that event. My favorite line is "But I never loved you more even though I knew what you did." I don't understand it. How is it that after confessing my sin that I can be loved even more? Though I do feel God's encompassing love in it. MMM, what a nice imagery. Can you imagine if everyone in the church were like this? If everyone were so humbled by Jesus' love that they'd share the "secrets nobody had known" with each other, I think we'd be catching a glimpse of heaven out of true fellowship with Jesus.
But, I think what keeps some of us from sharing our pain is the the thought that once we've shared, we'll never be looked at the same way as before. And it's not supposed to matter how we look. Who we are is what's supposed to matter.

michelle said...

such a pretty song :]

yeah...i am actually struggling with the same thing. in a lot of ways, i feel like i haven't been giving my best effort into catching up with people. i actually feel very spread out this summer. i want to hang out with everyone. i feel like i am breaking promises with people about meeting up. i feel bad especially when it comes to people asking for accountability D: it's one of those rare/random times where i feel like there's too many people to hang out with =//

God is so amazing. He's never spread too thin. He is able to give people so much attention one an equal level. He doesn't need to prioritize anyone. He is available 24/7 for all of us...

but yeah...i like how during retreat, we learned how Christ came to die for us at a time where we were all weak and "worthless." He didn't wait until we were all high and mighty. When we truly needed Him, He came just for us.

God does give that extra mile to meet us where we are at. He is truly one amazing Heavenly father :D thanks for sharing!