Sunday, February 8, 2009

Master of Puppets



"Master of Puppets" - by Metallica

Yes, this song is over eight minutes long. And yes, this is yet another song that I am sharing that deals with drug addiction (the first being "Black Balloon," and the second being "Running to Stand Still"). While I am not a drug addict, the concept of addiction-- addiction to sin, in particular-- continues to haunt me.

I have a very hard time with one particular sin. As depressing or morbid as these lyrics may be, I think that this song does the best job in depicting how this sin is tearing me apart. The chorus and the lyrics leading up to the chorus are especially...sdlkfj

Taste me and you will see
More is all you need
Dedicated to how I'm killing you

Come crawling faster
Obey your master
Your life burns faster
Obey your master, master

Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me you can't see a thing
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream
"Master, Master!"

I have let this thing become my master. I have succumbed many times, despite my own will to withstand all temptations. But that's just the thing--I have been relying on my own strength to overcome this thing. But what is my strength? My strength is nothing by itself. With God, however, I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. God, I pray that You'll stand by me and give me Your strength that can beat down anything that Satan tries to throw my way. Help me to rely on You, always.

Gosh, as I'm typing this now, I have come to realize more just how great our God really is. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." I--heck, everyone--am not worthy of this life I'm given, this air I'm breathing. But the fact that we're living now, that we're breathing, is all because of the gift of grace, i.e. Jesus Christ. I was reading Galatians the other day, where Paul writes: "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us." The latter part of the verse really gets me every time I read or think about it. Much can be extracted from this, but I will just simply say that his grace is amazing. I don't want to continue living like this; I don't want to go on living with every breath I take tainted with sin. I want to breathe worship unto You, as You have breathed life and love unto me. I love You, Lord.

Please pray for me.

1 comment:

Tim Young said...

This is a pretty crazy song... it's frightening... I'm actually curious, as to what it would be like for a drug addict to hear these lyrics. Would they realize the pain they're drowning themselves in? Delving ever further, it's scary because this is what Satan is saying for all those who don't know Jesus.. how we all desperately need Him.

The last part of the song is one of the most impressing parts of the song for me. The laughter at the end. Puts it into perspective of the kind of cruelty we're dealing with here.. We'll pray for you Neilson for what you're going through. And at the same time we'll thank God that the ending of your song will not be like the ending of this song. ahhhh, us by Jesus's side triumphant over sin. yay.