Saturday, February 7, 2009

We Are Broken



Hehe, sorry guys... As you well know... i really like paramore... so... here's another one =P

This song, "We Are Broken" by Paramore, stood out to me when i first heard it. I didnt really know the whole meaning behind it the first time, but it made me realize how much we need God in our lives. We ourselves are broken, and we make so many mistakes in our lives. The pre-chorus demonstrates the strength and power of God. "Keep me safe inside / Your arms like towers / Tower over me." He's always there to protect us.

"Cause we are broken
What must we do to restore
Our innocence
And oh, the promise we adored
Give us life again
'Cause we just wanna be whole"

God is the only one with the power to give us new life. As humans, we are always searching for purpose, for meaning, for a reason to live. "We just wanna be whole."

As I researched further into this song (because i like doing that...hehe), i found out that during their Final Riot! concert, they dedicated this song to the children who are involved in sex trafficking. As i went through the song again, the meaning hit me harder than before. These children often dont have a choice, and they've gone through so much. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to have to live like they do. For most of them, and for some of us, the only comfort available is the promise that the Lord has given us, that he can give us this new life, a life of abundance... a life with Him.

Although this song is pretty sad, it is a reality check. At the same time, it is hopeful. It shows us that we need to just get down on our hands and knees to praise God. He has given us so much. We need to just admit our short-comings, our failures, and our mistakes. He has this place in store for us, and all we need to do is accept him... His promise is still there for us. "We just wanna be whole,"... All we need is God.

2 comments:

Tim Young said...

i also really like that line: "Your arms like towers; [God, please] tower over me[!!!]". when i heard that line, it's what i pray in my heart, especially because i find that God is really the only stronghold i can trust in my life; not myself, not school, not intellect.

your sharing too really reminded me of something. while we're (i'm) so caught up in all my problems, i completely forget what God has given us; something truly AMAZING! i mean, to those who don't know God, we can tell them that "yes, God has given us LIFE that is WHOLE, you don't have to keep living a life that only goes 'so far'..." how quickly we're caught in our own pain we forget that what God has blessed us with is something that the world does NOT have...knowledge of a love that never fails and grace that goes beyond everything and a future that is secure.

Neilson Chan said...

Thank you for sharing, Abi. I appreciate it a lot.