Friday, March 20, 2009

Jeremy



"Jeremy" - by Pearl Jam

As I was walking home from school this afternoon, I suddenly thought of this song, and I felt a very strong conviction to share this song. This is a very disturbing song with a video that compliments the atmosphere of the song very well. Nevertheless, even in an angst-ridden, grunge song, God has spoken to me.

The high school experience is one that can be socially and mentally nurturing, but it is also one that can be socially and mentally degrading. I will speak of the latter. At every school, there is always the select few who do not "fit in"-- the social pariahs with whom nobody wants to be associated. Not only that, they are often the target of much verbal or physical harassment. I'm sure, as you read this, a few faces will appear in your mind.

Now, I can't speak for all high schools, but at Lowell, at least, I have witnessed the degradation in some of these students. This song is based on a true story of a teenage boy who, after much torment from his peers, went into class one day and committed suicide in front of his teacher and all his peers. It's very disturbing. I don't know much about the story other than that, but it reminds me of a boy I know at my school. For the sake of anonymity, let's call this boy "Bob." I'm sure many have heard of his story already. Basically, Bob, like Jeremy, was ultimately pushed to the brink of madness from the incessant harassment. Rather than being pushed to suicide like Jeremy, however, Bob formulated a hit-list. Now, that is scary.

I had to reevaluate the way I reacted and treated these people. I actually sat next to Bob for the first semester of 10th Grade English. I witnessed first-hand the constant teasing and harassment that Bob endured daily. It was a wonder he kept his composure for so long. But it's like that part in the song:

"Clearly I remember picking on the boy
Seemed a harmless little f***
But we unleashed a lion
Gnashed his teeth and bit the recess lady's breast
How can I forget?"

It's very difficult to type about this subject, and I'm very tired... I admit that I am guilty for having contributed to it all. I'm not proud of it. I try to connect to these people, and if I can't, I don't add on to the madness. I want to be different; I want to be a light. These sorts of things should not happen in a high school--nor should they happen anywhere else.

Be different. Demonstrate Christ's love.

No comments: