Friday, March 20, 2009

Understanding grace...

I just heard this song on KLOVE. It's a song I've heard often...but today it brought to mind some of the people at our church. The thought that came to mind is that it seems some people, when they mess up, they feel like they have to do something in order to make up for it. The problem is not in trying to make up for it...but the persons continue to make the same mistake...thereby, they're stuck in this vicious cycle of doing the same sin, asking God for forgiveness, and then guilt forces the person to have to do something...instead of realizing that God's forgiveness is complete the moment He says He forgives us. And He has...through the blood of Christ. That I think is what "grace" is.

I guess it's hard to grasp why God would forgive us...even when we're stuck in habitual sin. But He has...completely...when He sent Christ down for us in our place. Our challenge is to really tackle these habitual sins...and one of the primary ways to do that is to let go of our shame and pride/ego and ask a brother/sister in Christ to keep us accountable. That requires sharing our ugly habitual sin with someone. Until we do that though, we will often fall to this same temptation over and over again...because through our own strength, we can not overcome it...but with the accountability, prayer and support of another, a habitual sin can be overcomed.

The lyrics are included in the song...but here it is also:

By Your Side - Tenth Avenue North


Why are you striving these days
Why are you trying to earn grace
Why are you crying
Let me lift up your face
Just don't turn away

Why are you looking for love
Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
To where will you go child
Tell me where will you run
To where will you run

And I'll be by your side
Wherever you fall
In the dead of night
Whenever you call
And please don't fight
These hands that are holding you
My hands are holding you

Look at these hands and my side
They swallowed the grave on that night
When I drank the world's sin
So I could carry you in
And give you life
I want to give you life

(Chorus 2x)

Cause I, I love you
I want you to know
That I, I love you
I'll never let you go

(Chorus 2x)


No comments: