Monday, January 18, 2010

Have Your Way



So for christmas, my mom gave me this cd. Of all the songs, though I liked them all, this one stood out in particular. It's the last track of the cd, and meant to carry weight.
I'm sure many of us feel like we're carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. Like we can't do everything by ourselves, but we think we have to. Often, we ask for a hand, but it seems like no one's reaching out. We feel like nothing's going the right way, and everyone's just turned their back. We think, "there's no hope, so why carry on?"
But too often, we forget that it's not our life to live. Nothing is ever really in our hands alone. We feel stuck. Nothing's progressing. Nothing's working. Everything's broken. Everyone's left us. But it's He who "takes the broken things and turns them into beautiful".
So yes, life is hard. But it becomes significantly less difficult to bear when you lift it up to God. When you let Him have His way. We may feel like we're carrying the weight of the world. But in reality, who's carrying us? It's God. His will is perfect, His heart is great, His way is lighted, and His arms are open and strong. Strong enough to carry us through the thickest termoil, the worst adversity, the biggest ditch.
You may be reading this thinking, "oh, yea, that's so easy to sing about, so easy to write in a blog, but what about in real life? I can't find this in real life... I dont feel Him guiding me when I'm walking my lonely path..." But honestly, just try it. Stop searching for the answers. Stop praying for an escape. Trust the Lord with where you are, because He really will provide a way. Again, life is hard. But when we find the one who's willing to take our brokenness, take our pain, and create something out of it... Life really is beautiful. You may not be able to see it now. You may feel like it's taking an eternity just for you to even see a glimpse of light. But just take security in knowing that it will come. God's way IS perfect, and He loves you. So let Him have his way.

But you never said the road would be easy
But you said that you would never leave
And you never promised that this life wasn't hard
But you promised you'd take care of me

So I'll stop searching for the answers
I'll stop praying for an escape
And I'll trust you God with where I am
And believe that you will have your way
Just have your way, just have you way...


Also, when I first listened to this song, I was kind of wondering if she had a cold while singing it, because it seemed less clear than normal. So... in my "research," I discovered that she actually recorded this particular song while lying on the floor. She says that she normally records songs standing up, because it feels like it's more of a performance, a more horizontal message. But for this song, she decided to lay down because normally, she prays lying down. She wanted this song to be directed towards God as a prayer for her to let Him have His way in her life. This really impressed me, because this action could have cost her money due to the sound quality. But this action was an action from her heart, as a way of glorifying God. Yes, it may not sound as great as it could, but it doesn't matter. It's a prayer. It's just that simple. It doesn't have to be boosted through stereo systems, it doesn't have to be on the top 10 hits list. But it's not for US, it's not directed towards US, it's not to please US. It's a prayer for GOD from the heart. Just as it should be from ours...

I know you will
I won't forget

You love me

Have your way...

1 comment:

Tim Young said...

I really love this song.. it really relates and reaches to our deep hurts, into our ditches. And often times, we do feel like we need to pray for a way out.. but God is not only there when we're on our way out, He's right there next to us in our dryness and darkness. Haha.. what an amazing God.. turning our brokenness into beautiful...

God's promises are so hard to hear sometimes in our spots, but we gotta trust that He's bigger than ourselves and loves us where we are.